Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Review

Before I go too much into New Fantasyland, let me say that the Magic Kingdom has not looked this polished and nice in a very long time.  I frequented this park most during my visits.  After the requisite rides on The Carousel of Progress and the TTA Peoplemover, my all-time favorites at the Magic Kingdom, our group sauntered over to New Fantasyland and Storybook Circus to check out the new stuff.  Let’s go through the positives first.  
The area looks very nice and very picturesque.  Some of the finest theming since The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  The train station, Carolwood Park, in Storybook Circus is a great homage to Walt’s love of the railroad.  I also appreciate the way Disney opened up the space behind the carousel.  There was never a huge backup of foot traffic like there used to be.  
Even though Butterbeer is certainly the better drink, Le Fou’s Brew from Gaston’s Tavern is still very good and refreshing on a hot day.  And finally, my lunch at Be Our Guest was quite spectacular, even if I had to contend with a tropical storm.  
For the attractions, I rode Dumbo and The Little Mermaid.  Didn’t bother with Enchanted Tales with Belle because I am not a 9-year-old girl.  I have always had a soft spot for Dumbo and riding it at night is just a delight.  
The Little Mermaid is certainly a ride.  It just sort of ends, doesn’t it?  I found more entertainment in the queue to be honest. 
Like cotton candy, I found most of New Fantasyland to be pretty but hollow.  An excuse to install more shops and eateries without putting much thought into the attractions themselves.  When your anchor for an entire new land is a restaurant, there’s an issue.  I know that Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is set to be open sometime this decade and that was a big mistake on Disney not to fast track that thing.  Maybe my opinion of this new area would be different had it been open, but it wasn’t.  
I can’t go on without mentioning the new Tangled “E-ticket toilets”.  Once again, a very pretty area, but it’s a place to drop a deuce, nothing more.  The charging station area will come in handy for those “iPad photographers”.
I did really enjoy my time in Disney but I can’t see myself going there any time in the near future.  
Thanks for reading,
- Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment